Originally known as the Huntington Building, the Pacific Electric Building served as offices and the central depot for the Pacific Electric Railway line. At the time of completion it was the largest office building in Los Angeles.
Originally the ground floor featured a waiting area with twenty-foot high beamed ceilings, tall arched windows, marble wainscoting and ornately carved mahogany furniture. The eighth and ninth floors housed the exclusive Jonathan Club until 1924.
In 1944, following an ownership change, architect Claud Beelman redecorated the lobby in a motif of stainless steel, marble and aluminum, and in 1947 as a sign of the times, the rear depot entrance was expanded to accommodate buses. In 1961, the concourse and waiting room were converted for use as a parking garage following the dissolution of PE, and the offices were mostly vacant by the late 1980s, serving primarily as a filming location.
In 2005 the building was converted into residential rental lofts by Killefer Flammang Architects. Since 1908, the basement has been home Cole’s P.E. Buffet, one of the oldest restaurants in Los Angeles and self-proclaimed inventor of the French dip sandwich. Downtown nightlife entrepreneur Cedd Moses restored the beloved establishment in late 2008.
- Address610 S Main Street, Los Angeles, CA
- LocationNo Location
- By blairbesten
- Email: email@example.com
Theme Settings > Item Pages > Contact > Contact Form ID